A famous quote tells u.s.a. the 3 things every human being should do during his time on earth: Constitute a tree, have a son and write a book. The reason backside this quote is more often than not believed to be that we are only here for a short fourth dimension and these three things will live on long after we have passed. It's like leaving a legacy and in a sense achieving a kind of immortality.

(Note: In that location is an update to this post (afterward almost 6 years) – click hither for that mail service.)

I beginning heard this quote in a Spanish grade when I commencement worked in Spain dorsum in 1998. My Spanish teacher was the wonderful Carmen Lopez Blanco. Being keen on literature she knew all about the famous writers from the Spanish speaking world.

I can still think her telling me near the quote merely cannot remember who had supposedly written it. Only that it was some Latin American writer. At that time I had done none of the iii things.

Now I take my son Dani, I have planted a couple of trees and I am in the procedure of writing a book. A few days ago Dani planted his first tree.

Holding tree Source of the Quote…

Bear with me while I digress slightly.

It is possible that the phrase is derived from the Talmud (sotah 44) which states: "…a human being should build a firm, plant a vineyard and then ally a wife".

Other sources propose it is a Buddhist saying. However another that it is an old Russian proverb.

Of grade recently the quote has lost its male dominated pregnant and is widely quoted as "Plant a tree, have a child and write a book". Information technology is besides quoted as something every person should do rather than just a human.

A quick internet search likewise reveals that the quote is widely attributed to Jose Martí (1853-1895) a Cuban poet, journalist and political philosopher. He is a national hero in Cuba.

Through his writings and political action, he became a symbol for Republic of cuba'south bid for independence against Spain in the 19th century, and is referred to equally the "Campaigner of Cuban Independence."

Although he never lived to see Cuba'due south independence from Spain his face is on the Cuban One Peso notation. An honour no less. Rather similar the reverence given to George Washington who appears on the The states One Dollar note.

planting tree

Latin American heroes…

I wondered why any reference to Latin American history always mentions poets and writers equally heroes. This is a fact. If you look into the history of Latin American politics y'all will see what I mean. Basically these were so chosen "intellectuals" who would have besides been disquisitional of the political organisation or fifty-fifty revolutionary.

In Europe we would have gone through a similar phase in our history. Nosotros but no longer seem to quote them. In a similar way our so called "intellectuals" would have been well educated in comparison to the masses. They had something to say and (meliorate all the same) knew how to express it. Even more chiefly they knew how to go information technology published. Those types are inappreciably revered anymore in our countries merely they yet seem to be a large office of the historical and political fabric that makes upwards Latin America.

It was suggested to me that perhaps Latin America is somehow living in the past and backside Europe in this respect. Equally if they have not outgrown these old intellectuals. In a style that may exist true.

Oops! Cue comments from Latin Americans – I do promise and then, even if it simply ways that my web log is existence read by Latin Americans. Nevertheless please read on…

In actual fact it could mean they are in a better, more advanced state than we are in Europe. Nowadays in Europe so many people hang on every word of a footballer (for example) as if they have anything worth saying!! Another example: In the English speaking globe it certainly seems that Hollywood actors have filled a void to get (or at least pretend to be) the new intellectuals. Unfortunately, these relatively talentless individuals practise have a big influence on the way people recall and what they say.

I recollect I know which I adopt. Give me the likes of Jose Martí whatsoever twenty-four hours.

Afterward idea…

There are many websites that claim Jose Marti made this quote only oddly it does not appear on any site listing his famous quotes. At to the lowest degree that I could detect.

Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have any existent prove linking Jose Martí with this quote?

Martí is considered one of the great turn-of-the-century (19th century that is) Latin American intellectuals. I f he really did write that famous quote so information technology is good enough for me.